Designing a modern healthcare building is not an easy job. It requires careful planning to ensure the safety of both patients and healthcare workers. When we talk about a modern healthcare facility, it means that it can provide a wide range of health services which are applicable to different healthcare situations. All of these services should be available within a single building or demountable buildings. Some of the services that needed to be in the facility are the following:
Inpatient services – from simple health procedures to intensive care that may require long term treatment
Outpatient services – from consultation to follow–up to checkups
Administrative tasks – customer services or reception, registration, record keeping, HR and accounting
Research and Teaching services – for health workers to conduct research on certain health cases and for teaching new employees or trainees.
Other services – housekeeping, security and building maintenance, food service and supply management
All of the healthcare facilities are designed differently. However, there are three important details that these building shared when it comes to designing them. These are the exterior design, interior design and the entrance design.
Before the construction, a graphical design must be made. On the early stage of the plan, architects must think carefully how the building should look like, the location and the layout. Here are the factors that should be considered in designing the exterior of the healthcare facility.
- The building should blend well on the surrounding as it will look fresher and welcoming to the visitors. There is a need that the colour and style of the building should match its surroundings to avoid the concept of limitations. For example, if your building is located near the ocean, you can have curved styling with a glassy finish to make it look like the wave of the sea.
- The hospital should be accessible. Since the services are vital, people should reach the facility conveniently. This means it should be located where public transportation is present. Also, it should offer secure parking areas and pedestrian lanes.
- There should be plenty of natural daylight to make the place more comforting. Also, the building should have enough shields to protect the patients during the hottest part of the day. Exposure to daylight is known to speed up a patient’s recovery and helps staff to work efficiently.
When it comes to interior design, the styling should aim for comfortability and will help people to feel relaxed and calm. If the design is of quality, it can help in the healing process of the patient and result in better outcomes. Here are some features that play a big factor in the overall health being of the patients.
- Furniture and bedding should have fabrics that are soft to touch and are stain-resistant as well. Patients should be at ease on their beds so they can recover faster.
- Walls should be painted in light colours. Pastel colour and white paint gives the idea of cleanliness and can strengthen daylight in the area.
- The facility should be free from any unnecessary clutter. Every feature, such as artwork should be designed intentionally and should match the overall theme of the facility. This will make the area look organized and clean.
Many people are afraid of going to the hospital. It causes anxiety, especially when they remember past experiences that are related to injury or diseases. O help the patients feel calm and not feel nervous; the facility should have a welcoming entrance. The building’s entrance should feel open and bright. To make this happen, consider the following:
- Let in more light. Design a large glass door together with floor to ceiling windows. These type of doors and windows will make the entrance look brighter. It also helps the visitors to take a peek of what is inside that will help them calm themselves.
- Place comfortable furniture throughout the lobby. Having lots of chairs and tables can help visitors to take their time and relax before they go in for consultation or checkups.
- Install soothing artwork. Placing art, especially paintings and photographs of nature, will make the lobby alive and more comfortable. It won’t make the space feel empty and dull.
In designing a modern healthcare facility, there should be customization. The style and designs should reflect what the hospital is all about what it will give to its patients. It should also be designed according to what the community needs. Modern medical facilities are often preferred by a lot of people because of the specialized services that they offer. In order to meet the expectations of the people, the building should be designed carefully. It’s objective should be making the facility less look like a hospital but a comfy home away from home.